Wednesday 20 November 2013

Social Media: Is it enlightening us or dumbing us down - short.

Recently I have decided to sometimes do short snippets of a Blog post to whatever comes to mind and make a short paragraph on that, whichever receives great interest I shall continue and build upon that (like a to-do list.)

My first short paragraph is on social media and whether its existence is a tool for knowledge or a cause for ignorance.
It can be seen as great, we know what's going on, how to contact someone and what's happening all in the space of our laptops and mobiles. This does seem that our social capacity can indeed expand to a point that could not be imagined a decade or so ago. We follow celebrities, like what we like and get to see what our friends are doing, what could be better?
However, is there really a cost to these benefits we get, and if so, do these costs have serious implications. Well the trouble with all this convenience can make us extremely impatient at times. I admit myself, after I send a text or message, I am expecting a response quickly and it can be frustrating when this is not the case. Secondly, can this get us addicted to social media? If when you refresh Facebook or Twitter and you still have the same, then you are addicted, hooked on the online lives of others.

Now I'm not saying we should all go outside and go play with Kites in that 'ideal perfect' world but rather I ask, should we restrict ourselves from being indoctrinated by the social media lifestyle?

No comments:

Post a Comment